Chicken Cordon Bleu

COMMENTS:
Once upon a time (before my gluten-free days) I had a favorite Breaded Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe so this un-breaded "healthier" version from Woman's Day magazine had me intrigued. Although I added my own touches and used what I had on hand instead of exactly what the recipe called for, I am so thankful for Woman's Day for giving me a great start and the inspiration to make this. It was DELICIOUS! Next time I will double the sauce (to what I wrote below) since that part was SO yummy!

INGREDIENTS:
2 large Chicken breasts
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup red cooking wine
1/2 cup sour cream
2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
4 slices Provolone (or Swiss) cheese
4 (thin) slices ham
1 green pepper, sliced in rings

DIRECTIONS:
Cook chicken in 375* oven for 30 minutes, or until done. (This really depends on the size of the breasts.)
Meanwhile, heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, seasoning with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on medium for about five minutes (stirring occasionally), or until tender.
Stir in wine and simmer until slightly reduced, about two minutes; remove from heat.
Stir in sour cream and mustard until blended.
Now that the chicken is done, remove from pan and slice breasts in half horizontally.
Spoon a little of the sauce on the bottom of the pan and then replace the chicken, flat side up.
Add cheese slice and then ham slice on top of each chicken piece. Top with remaining sauce and one ring of pepper.
Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted. YUM!!!

SPECIAL NOTE:
If I have labeled a recipe as GlutenFree or Dairy Free but it appears to have those ingredients in it... that means the recipe is still delicious with substitutes/replacements. Ex: soy milk, lactose-free cheese, Bragg's liquid aminos (for soy sauce), all-purpose gluten free flour (Better Batter is my favorite), etc. Please check your individual ingredients to be sure they are GF or DF, if that is what you need.

updated 10/2014

No comments: