Caramel Corn Chex Mix

COMMENTS:
Each year for Christmas my husband's boss shares a super yummy snack mix. This year, after picking out the pieces with gluten, I asked his wife for the recipe so I could make it and not have to eat it so tediously. Well, that was a mistake because I ate it WAY too quickly! The second time I made it, I added more dry ingredients, just to make it not quite so sweet. So here is the adapted version. Note that the original recipe had Cheerios and multiple Chex flavors.

INGREDIENTS:
12-15 cups popped popcorn
5 cups Corn Chex
1 can peanuts/mixed nuts
2 sticks butter
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda


DIRECTIONS:
In large roaster pan, mix together popcorn, cereal, and nuts.
Bring butter, brown sugar, and salt to a boil.
Add baking soda; stir well.
Pour over dry mix and stir.
Bake for one hour at 250 degrees, stirring every 15 minutes or so.
After it has cooled, you can add M&M's for more sweetness (and color).

SPECIAL NOTE:
If I have labeled a recipe as GlutenFree or Dairy Free but it appears to have those ingredients in it... that means the recipe is still delicious with substitutes/replacements. Ex: soy milk, lactose-free cheese, Bragg's liquid aminos (for soy sauce), all-purpose gluten free flour (Better Batter is my favorite), etc. Please check your individual ingredients to be sure they are GF or DF, if that is what you need.


No comments: